Sunday, March 6, 2016

Defeat Confusion Through Prayer

Good morning to all on this 1st Sunday in March. I was reviewing my entries and I couldn't believe that I didn't post in February. God has been so good to Waine and I; we celebrate daily His work in our lives. We are not traveling this week and are at home. March still has cold weather although it can get up to the mid-60's during the day. We closed on our new building last Monday so a new chapter will start for ZOe. Continue to keep us in your prayers as we forge ahead in God's planning.







I am continuing my journey in 1 Timothy 2 verses 1 - 15 "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior,  who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time. And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.  

Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.  A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve.  And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.  But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety."










Timothy is urging the young church in Ephesus to pray for change and when praying, pray with Thankfulness in their heart "as if their prayers were already answered". Remember the young "church" wanted to be rid of Roman rule and their pagan lifestyle. They wanted to have the ability to worship in the style of this religion called Christianity without hassle, which is what they were subjected to. Timothy is admonishing them to PRAY for change and in so doing pray for the government that was in power in Ephesus. The Jews still had Kings, Sadducees and  Pharisees and the Gentiles still had the Roman power structure. Timothy was urging all young Christians to pray for the people in power and in praying bring about change. This message is so true today. As we watch what is unfolding in the Presidential race we ALL should be praying for our country. To see adults think and say outrageous things about minorities and the less fortunate, and use as an excuse the frustration of whites who feel their power base has been eroded, is really for me a sign that evil is rampant in the United States. The "filter" of humanity is completely missing in some of the comments that are coming from the Republican field. As Christians we have to be in prayer to defeat Satan and his minions -- as Timothy admonished "we are to lift our hands and pray".






Timothy is also giving the young church in Ephesus some guidance as to how to conduct themselves as Christians. Remember his audience are folk who were practicing pagan religions. As young Christians they were being taught how to live a moral life so that they could be a witness to those in Ephesus who had not yet converted to Christianity. Even today as Christians, we are to set ourselves apart from the morality of the world, so that others can come to know Christ through us. This is my struggle daily especially as it relates to anger. I am to suppress my anger and reactions so that the love of Christ can come through me to others. If my first inclination is to tell someone off when they offend me, then I am no better that those folk on national TV running for the Republican nomination. I am to conduct myself in Quite Confidence because I know that my Redeemer lives. I need not be  afraid because I know who is in charge; God through the sacrifice of Christ and the Power of the Holy Spirit.




Likewise as a Christian wife, I am to be submissive to my husband. When Waine reads this I am sure he will think I surely have missed the lesson in submissiveness. In all candor, I strive to be submissive as my husband's wife. I conduct myself in a manner that is befitting my status as his wife. I have forsaken all others and cleave only unto him. In matters that concern our family his word is the last word. As most of you know Waine and I are also in business together. As business partners I am not submissive to him in all things. We are equals with respect to decision making for ZOe and my husband defers to me on matters that are clinical and matters that affect our practice. He is a confident man and it shows as he does not allow his ego needs to interfere with the growing of the practice. Waine demonstrates his love for me daily in this regard and I don't take it for granted.




The words that Timothy has for women are a little hard for me understand. I do agree that sin entered Eden through Eve's lack of obedience and that God's punishment was exacted on both Adam and Eve for their lack of faithfulness. I don't believer however that God doesn't use women in positions of authority in the church and in the world. A good example of Joyce Meyer. God has blessed her ministry and blessed many people through her preaching. Dave Meyer is an integral part of the ministry but it is Joyce that God anointed to preach. She is truly teaching men every day so I am not sure if what Timothy was teaching was true in the context of his time only. Be in prayer about this passage and it is through prayer we will gain clarity.




Bottom line message today is that Prayer will change everything and being clarity out of confusion. Be in prayer for our nation and for each other. Experience the Power of God through prayer as you navigate this day.




Now may the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.




Stephanie



No comments:

Post a Comment